August 10, 2017

Narrow test clips

Although not really a project, I recently bought a few test clips on Ebay, called "Universal Chip IC Test Clip Socket Adpter Programmer SOP SOIC TSOP MSOP SSOP" http://www.ebay.com/itm/381608877505

This was how they were advertised:

Ships with case and cables


Can connect to IC pins on a circuit board:


I paid 16 dollars for a set of 10 clips, shipping included. They arrived in less than three weeks.
The clips looked as advertised, although the cables smelled strange and the case felt cheap.

The instructions says that the clips are possible to use with one hand,
but I needed two hands to use them.
The one-handed grip does not seem to be nice to the cables.



It works fine to connect the clips to adjacent pins with 50 mil (1.27mm) pin spacing, but I would not try to connect to anything smaller than that and expect it to work.
This is an improvement from the the clips I've had previously, they are unwieldy for anything under 100 mil (2.54mm).
However, I doubt I could connect to a QFP64 package as advertised without causing  a short-circuit to the adjacent pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment